Joli Vin imports
At almost 500 m in elevation and at the upper edge of Beaujolais’ wine growing range, the southern oriented, steeply pitched parcel of “Niagara” is the source of Julien’s Fleurie cuvée. Planted in the early 1960s to a density of 10000 vines per hectare and on mother rock of pure pink granite with little topsoil to speak of, the parcel is rocky and a challenge to work. The higher elevation means that this parcel is harvested a solid 14 days in general after the Régnié is collected.
The wine from this slice of Fleurie offers the typical basket of red currents and dark cherries with certain floral undertow of violets and iris. The mineral backbone suggests a wine that can age for half a dozen years in a strong vintage.
Julien Sunier fact sheet (PDF)
Wines & Producers
- Burgundy/Côte de NuitsDomaine Marc Roy
- Burgundy/Côte de Beaune Domaine PavelotDomaine de Terres de Velle
- Burgundy/Beaujolais Julien Sunier
- Burgundy/MâconnaisChâteau des RontetsDomaine de la Sarazinière
- ChampagneEmmanuel BrochetDomaine Marie Courtin
- Côtes du MarmandaisÉlian Da Ros
- JuraDomaine de la Tournelle
- LanguedocDomaine du Pas de L’EscaletteDomaine Rimbert
- Loire Sylvain DittièreDomaine Robert SérolDomaine Vincent GaudryDomaine de l’écu
- RhôneCédric ParpetteDomaine Pierre GononEmmanuel Darnaud
- Roussillon Clôt de l’Oum
RégniéJulien’s Régnié and Morgon parcel’s lie adjacent to one another in the south facing parcel named “Oeillat.” The vines were planted around 1965…
FleurieAt almost 500 m in elevation and at the upper edge of Beaujolais’ wine growing range, the southern oriented, steeply pitched parcel of “Niagara” is the source of Julien's Fleurie cuvée.
MorgonJulien’s Morgon cuvée originates from two separate parcels of equal surface area, one located in the southwest facing slope lieu-dit of “Corcelette” and the other at the edge of the Morgon/Régnié line…